Tips for choosing healthier fast foods
Fast food can be a regular habit for busy people, so If you happen to be too busy to prepare meals and go for fast food, try healthier choices. Most restaurants and cafes now serve lower fat, healthier options, however, a lot of fast foods often contain hidden fats.
- Avoid anything that is fried or battered
- Avoid foods cooked in cream or butter such as butter chicken.
- Avoid processed meats and sausages and choose leaner meats like turkey, ham, chicken and roast beef.
- Avoid meal combos which include French fries and soft drinks. Just get the protein.
- Share an entrée with a friend.
- Try to order from the children’s menu
- Order the lunch or appetizer version of your dinner
- Choose burgers with salad for the side. Try to skip the mayonnaise or margarine on the bun.
- Try thin crust pizza with lean meat or lean chicken with plenty of vegetarian toppings.
- Choose pasta with tomato-based sauces instead of cream based.
- Choose steamed rice over fried rice.
- Eat plenty of vegetables with stir-fry dishes.
- Drink coffee, tea or low-fat smoothies. Try to avoid milkshakes
- Try to avoid ordering dessert, or try low-fat frozen yogurt, ice creams or fruit.
- Try to avoid dressings, sauces, and gravies.
- Ask for a salad instead of chips
- Choose lower fat dressings and sauces
- Choose low-fat muffins instead of regular muffins, danishes or croissants
- Ask for your bread without butter.
- Put leftovers into a doggie bag instead of trying to finish the meal.