Health experts reported significant benefits from including Omega 3 fatty acids in your daily diet. Furthermore, several studies show that brain function improves with a daily intake of Omega 3 supplements. Let us review the 5 best omega-3 supplements and discover a few essential aspects of fish oil supplement brands.
Your body tends to convert food into most of the fats it needs, but your body cannot make omega-3 essential fats from scratch. So it has to get them from the food you consume. However, consuming Omega-3 fats in our daily diet is only available in a few food selections. So, many of us don’t get enough of this vital nutrient despite our healthy eating. Hence, experts believe it is essential that you consider taking an omega-3 supplement daily.
Nonetheless, choosing the best omega-3 supplement can be a daunting task because hundreds of different fish oil brands are available on the market. But, not all of them include the amounts of primary ingredients on their labels.
5 Best Omega 3 Supplements Quest
To correctly answer the question: What are the best Omega 3 Supplements on the mark today? We have first to understand what omega-3 fatty acids are.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids – What Are They?
Omega 3 fatty acids are abundant in fish oils. They are a critical part of cell membranes that affect the function of the cell receptors. These contribute significantly to the production of hormones that regulate blood clotting. Moreover, they improve blood vessel function, regulate genetic functioning, and reduce inflammation.
Additionally, studies show that Omega 3 fatty acids may help prevent cardiovascular disease and stroke. Also, they may help minimize the effects of lupus, eczema, and rheumatoid arthritis. Omega 3 acids also help protect you from cancer and other detrimental health conditions.
Notably, omega-3 fats make up a family of polyunsaturated fats. The three primary fatty acids are eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). You can find the ALA in plants, vegetable oils, leafy greens, and nuts. However, EPA and DHA come primarily from animals and algae.
More than 90% of adult Americans have suboptimal levels of EPA and DHA. This evidence suggests a need for supplementation, especially for people suffering from or are prone to developing heart disease.
Because of the widespread deficiency of this vital nutrient, food companies worldwide began creating omega-3 fatty acid fortified products. These foods are bread, mayonnaise, yogurt, popcorn, milk, orange juice, children’s pasta, eggs, and infant formula.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids Benefits
Recent researchers show that Omega-3 fatty acids, also known as fish oils, have many excellent benefits for our health. Hence, we will answer questions you may have been wondering about Omega-3’s exceptional benefits for your body and mind.
1. SUPPORTS HEALTHY BLOOD FLOW TO THE BRAIN
Omega 3s fatty acids are so exceptional that they help prevent the clumping of your blood platelets. These platelets keep blood flowing freely to the brain. It also keeps your arteries smooth by preventing plaque from accumulating and clogging your arteries, thus preventing the blood from reaching your brain.
2. PROTECTS AGAINST BREAST CANCER AND HEART DISEASE
Experts and researchers associate Omega 3s fatty oils with numerous heart-health benefits such as:
- a reduction in triglycerides,
- lowering blood pressure to healthy levels,
- an increase in healthy (good) cholesterol (HDL),
- and a reduction in inflammation—which also helps combat asthma, caused by inflammation in the lungs.
Furthermore, health experts linked Omega 3s to decreased mental decline due to aging and Alzheimer’s disease. Also, they believe people who eat omega 3s rich foods or take daily supplements have an increase of gray matter in their brains. This gray matter is the tissue that processes information and memories.
Medical experts also noted that essential fats show promise in the fight against breast cancer. The fatty acids can reduce inflammation. They also help eliminate liver fat in people diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Additionally, liver fat is the most common cause of chronic liver disease.
3. VITAL TO EARLY DEVELOPMENT
Developing infants need omega 3s for proper brain development. Therefore, children supplemented with omega 3s, under the supervision of a medical professional, show several benefits, including:
- improved brain function,
- a reduced number of behavioral problems,
- improved communication, and social skills,
- decreased the risk of ADHD,
- and a reduced risk for developmental delays.
Furthermore, as a baby’s brain rapidly develops in the womb, the mother sheds excess DHA stores in her body to support her child. Children who suffer from Omega 3s deficiency may experience developmental inhibition.
Because of these benefits, it is vital for pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers to supplement their diets with omega 3s.
4. IMPROVES SKIN HEALTH
If you have dry skin, omega3 (and especially EPA) can benefit your skin and hair. EPA regulates the oil production in your skin and keeps your skin hydrated. Omega 3s can also protect your skin from damage. When you expose your body to UV rays, your body generated free radicals that damage cells and lead to premature aging of the skin. Omega 3s are an antioxidant that protects your skin from these substances.
These essential fats not only protect your skin against sun damage but can also help repair it. EPA helps prevent your body from releasing enzymes that destroy collagen, helping you avoid developing wrinkles. Due to their anti-inflammatory properties, omega 3s have been shown to relieve uncomfortable skin conditions such as rosacea, psoriasis, and eczema.
5. PREVENTS OPTICAL PROBLEMS
Did you know that DHA is especially vital for your eye health? A lot of DHA in your retina keeps your photoreceptor membrane healthy and ensures the best result of your vision through light transmission.
Moreover, if your child suffers from omega3 deficiencies, there is a high chance that your child will have dry eyes or poor eye structure development. It may also be associated with higher rates of
ocular degeneration and damage to the retina.
Do you want to wake up refreshed? Omega 3 Supplements improve the quality of your sleep. Try them today!
Studies suggest that if you consume higher levels of dietary omega 3s, you will have fewer instances of insomnia or interruptions in your sleep. The research shows that the higher the level of your stress hormone in your body, the more inflammation your body will suffer.
Since chronic inflammation can negatively impact your sleep quality, health experts recommend supplementing with Omega 3s to improve your sleep. Omega 3s help reduce inflammation and lower the stress hormones associated with a lack of sleep.
7. IMPROVE BONE STRENGTH
It is a well-known fact that poor bone health is linked to chronic inflammation in the body. So, when you reduce inflammation in the body, you benefit your bone health. Therefore, your daily food intake must include enough omega 3 fatty acids. Then, you will be amazed at how your bone health improves and your arthritis pains subside.
However, if in doubt, an optimal dose of Omega 3 supplements helps regulate your calcium balance and osteoblast activity, thus improving your bone health. Omega 3 fatty acids fight inflammation and reduce the pain associated with arthritis.
8. REDUCES INFLAMMATION
One of the principal benefits of supplementing your diet with omega3 fats is its profound anti-inflammatory effect. Inflammation is the basis of almost all chronic diseases. So, no wonder many are continuously looking for this highly sought-after benefit.
Furthermore, diet experts recommend increasing your intake of omega3 fatty acids to slow the progression of many chronic inflammatory disorders, including autoimmune and neurological disorders.
7 Things To Consider Before Buying Omega 3 Supplements
Now that we covered more about the nature of Omega 3 fatty acids and their excellent benefits for your bodies and minds, let us now determine what to look for in Omega 3 supplements. The market is more than saturated with tons of omega3 supplements, but do you know which one is the best one for you? Here, we will cover the seven things to look for when you decide to buy omega3 supplements.
1. WHAT TYPE OF OMEGA 3 SUPPLEMENT?
You want to find a supplement that is as close to natural as possible. When looking at the type of omega 3s, you should check for the EPA and DHA contents because these are the most critical types of omega 3s.
Pro tip: A supplement containing 1000 mg of fish oil per capsule will not benefit your health if the EPA and DHA contents are less than optimal.
2. ACTUAL AMOUNT OF OMEGA 3 IN SUPPLEMENTS
Similarly, you want to know which fats are included explicitly in fish oil and in what amounts. Never mind labels that advertise any quantity of “fish oil.” You want to look for the content of EPA specifically. Then you will be sure that the supplement will benefit your health.
3. FORM OF OMEGA 3 CONTAINED IN SUPPLEMENT
There are four forms of omega 3 supplements from which to choose. Knowing which is which can help you pick which one will offer you the best daily dosage. Ensure that the supplement of interest provides the best body absorption; you should see if it contains the following:
- free fatty acids (FFA),
- rTG (triglycerides and reformed triglycerides),
- and phospholipids (PL) rather than ethyl esters (EE).
Supplements that are less processed and have fewer ethyl esters are superior because your body cannot easily absorb ethyl esters. You also want to check for “GOED standard of purity” marks. These marks indicate the safety of the supplement and confirm the ingredients listed on the label.
When looking at the type of omega 3s, you should explicitly check for the EPA and DHA contents. EPA and DHA contents are the most critical types of omega 3s
4. DOSAGE – THE AMOUNT OF OMEGA 3 PER SERVING
Most fish oil supplements contain between 500 and 2,000 mg of omega 3s per dose. However, it would be best to talk to your health care professional to help you choose the proper dosage for your specific needs.
5. PURITY OF OMEGA 3 SUPPLEMENT? A TOP PRIORY!
The number one thing to look for is whether your supplement choice underwent certification from the International Fish Oil Standards (IFOS) Program? GOED? Eurofins Scientific? Labdoor? These third-party tests show that the product is safe, and also they contain what they say on the label.
6. EXPIRATION DATE OF OMEGA 3 SUPPLEMENTS
Fish oil products typically have an average of two to three years of catch-to-capsule time. Fish oil is highly prone to oxidation; hence it is essential to check your capsules by periodically smelling them.
Once they begin to smell strongly in any way, it is important to throw them away. To keep your supplement fresh and extend its expiration date, store your capsules properly. Some supplements require refrigeration, while others recommend storage at room temperature away from any sunlight.
7. IS THE SUPPLEMENT SUSTAINABLE?
Do you know if the MSC certified the supplement? Environmental Defense Fund? In addition to the fish oil itself, it is crucial to know the kind of fish used to create your supplement. More importantly, was the fish harvested in a sustainable way or ethically? You also want to make sure that the species is not under any ecological threat.
Should You NOT Take Omega 3 Supplements?
You shouldn’t take Fish oil supplements because everyone is taking them. Some people may experience adverse side effects. Since they are not suitable for some people, check with your doctor before taking an omega3 supplement.
In general, you should likely avoid these supplements if You are:
1. ALLERGIC TO ANY FISH PRODUCTS OR ANY FISH OIL COMPONENTS, SUCH AS EPA AND DHA.
Medical professionals warn against taking omega3 supplements if you have an allergy to fish or nuts. In rare incidences, people taking fish oil supplements reported experiencing skin rashes. Many of those had other food allergies, such as nuts.
2. ON BLOOD-THINNING MEDICATIONS
When taken in high doses, fish oil can thin your blood and prevent it from clotting. Therefore, if you suffer from a bleeding disorder, bruise easily, or take blood thinners, you should seek medical advice before consuming fish oil supplements.
3. PREGNANT OR BREASTFEEDING
Pregnant or breastfeeding women should not take fish oil supplements without discussing them with their doctors. There is a possibility of ingesting mercury, not recommended during pregnancies or breastfeeding mothers.
According to the FDA, mercury can harm a developing child’s nervous system. Also, fish oil could contain polychlorinated biphenyls and dioxins, harming both a child’s and a mother’s health.
So far, we have discussed what to look for in an omega3 supplement and of which to be wary. Now, let’s review the best products that are on the market today.
Lastly, The 5 Best Omega 3 Supplements List
5 Best Omega 3 Supplements Review
1. Nordic Naturals – Ultimate Omega – The Best Omega 3 Supplements Reviewed
The Nordic Naturals Supplement is the best choice. It provides ultimate support with 1280 mg of omega 3s to improve the health of your heart, brain, and mood. Furthermore, Nordic Naturals uses a unique formulation, proprietary manufacturing, and extraction procedures to ensure the high amount of EPA and DHA in their product.
The best Omega 3 supplement, Nordic Naturals – Ultimate Omega also contains Vіtаmіn E аnd rosemary еxtrасt. Nordic Naturals found through research conducted over several years that vitamin E and rosemary extract can improve the lоng-tеrm frеѕhnеѕѕ of fish oils.
Furthermore, these Nordic Naturals – Ultimate Omega supplements have not shown any adverse side effects on the body and are safe to use. You may be able to take this Nordic Naturals – Ultimate Omega supplement even if you have a shellfish allergy because the oil is derived from sardines and anchovies.
Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega, Lemon Flavor - 1280 mg Omega-3-120 Soft Gels - High-Potency Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement with EPA & DHA - Promotes Brain & Heart Health - Non-GMO - 60 Servings
$42.26 in stock
- WHY OMEGA-3S - Research shows that the essential fatty acids EPA & DHA in fish oil support heart, brain, eye & immune health. Omega-3s may also help support a healthy mood.
- DOCTOR-RECOMMENDED FORMULA - Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega features high concentration omega-3 fish oil in soft gels. This formula meets the daily recommended dose suggested by the American Heart Association to support a healthy heart.
- BETTER ABSORPTION, BETTER TASTE, NO FISHY BURPS - All of our omega-3 fish oil concentrates are in the triglyceride molecular form (the form naturally found in fish) for optimal absorption. Ultimate Omega has a great lemon taste.
- PURITY GUARANTEED - Every batch of Nordic Naturals fish oil is crafted from fresh, wild-caught, omega-rich fish. We are committed to using only non-GMO, gluten- & dairy-free ingredients with no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
- ETHICAL INNOVATION - Nordic Naturals has always been at the forefront of sustainable & ethical practices in the natural products industry. Through science & innovation, we are committed to delivering safe, effective nutrients for optimal wellness.
The Omega 3 Supreme Strength supplement has the best absorption of anything offered on the market. Also, it is formulated to provide you with an optimal omega 3:6 ratio. Additionally, the fish oil concentrate has 1050 mg of omega 3. It is made up of at least 664 mg of EPA and 336 mg of DHA.
This pharmaceutical-grade supplement, comprised of 75% omega 3s, surpasses Labdoor quality testing and GOED standards.
These distilled capsules are made from wild Alaskan-caught pollock. They are also cleaned, refined, and tested to ensure product quality. The capsules are easy to swallow and have an enteric coating for maximum absorption.
Omega-3 Supreme Strength 1400mg Fish Oil - High EPA DHA Wild Caught MSC Certified, Improved Absorption & Heavy Metal Tested (180 Burp-Less Softgels)
- HIGH ABSORPTION & EASY TO SWALLOW ★ Smaller and softer gelatin capsules with Enteric coating for maximum fatty-acid absorption and no fish burps. Enteric coated softgels has been shown to reduce uncomfortable “fish burps”, and secondly to increase the absorption of the Omega-3s by blocking the acid in the stomach from breaking them down too early in the digestion process.
- OMEGA RICH ★ Omega-3 Supreme is made with patented AlaskOmega natural fish oils with high EPA + DHA content, 1400 mg per 2 softgels, easily absorbed by your body and is concentrated over 75% Omega-3s (1050 mg omega 3). Contains ABOVE the daily minimum requirements of 1,000 mg (1g) with HIGH EPA + DHA split between 2 softgels to make it easier to swallow.
- WILD & CERTIFIED SUSTAINABLE ★ MSC Certified! Our multi-stage fish oil Refining Processes allows us to produce the HIGHEST standard of purity in our fish oils. This includes COLD EXTRACTION, MOLECULAR DISTILLATION and FILTRATION. By removing unpleasant fish odor, taste, PCBs, chlorinated organpollutans and heavy metal toxins, we are left with the most pure and fresh concentrated fish oil
- BETTER BODILY BENEFITS ★ Our Omega-3 fish oil ensures sufficient DHA and EPA intake for healthy body performance. When your body contains adequate ratio of Omega-3, it is widely known to support a vast array of benefits including the joint, heart & cardiovascular, as well as cognitive health.*
- FINAL PRODUCT QUALITY TESTED ★ 3rd Party Tested (Labdoor Inc, Eurofins) for purity and Omega-3 efficacy. Made and manufactured in world class facilities in the USA (with a Finalized COA). Quality and safety are a primary focus for all Life & Food branded products. LOT EXP DATE 03/2024
The Viva Naturals supplement is the best high-concentration fish oil available. Moreover, this organic supplement has the highest bioavailability and is easy for your body to absorb into your bloodstream to improve brain health.
The company uses tin to concentrate the omega 3s in the fish oil without applying heat or chemicals resulting in purified fish oil. The final product gives you three times more omega 3s in each serving than other leading supplements. Each serving contains 2,200 mg of fish oil, 1,400 mg of EPA, and 480 mg of DHA.
The oils, delivered to your body in the triglyceride form, are clinically proven to be more bioavailable for your body, giving you more out of every serving.
This product has a unique formulation that naturally supports improved health and wellness. The supplement is primarily made of omega-3 fish extracts. It also includes glycerin, purified water, and vitamin E. It is free from fillers and non-GMO.
Viva Naturals Triple-Strength Omega 3 Fish Oil with EPA and DHA Supplements 2,200mg, 180 Softgels
- Triple Strength Omega-3 Action - Our fish oil delivers 3X the omega-3s than you would get with other fish oil supplements. Each daily serving provides 2,200 mg of fish oil, including 1,400 mg of EPA and 480 mg of DHA.
- No Fishy Aftertaste - There’s nothing worse than the fishy aftertaste left by lower-quality fish oils. Our omega-3 supplement is highly concentrated to give you clean, high quality oil with no fishy burps or aftertaste.
- Omega-3 for Heart, Brain, Skin & Eye Health* - Science has shown that not only do the omega-3s in fish oil offer cardiovascular support for men and women, but they also promote brain health, and help keep your skin and eyes healthy as you age.*
- Designed for Better Absorption - The omega 3 fatty acids in our fish oil are delivered in triglyceride form. Triglycerides have been clinically shown to be more easily absorbed by your body. This helps you get the most out of every serving.
- IFOS 5 Star Certified - Our fish are wild caught using sustainable fishing practices – never farm raised. Plus, we use a combination of small fish (like sardines and mackerel), known to have less mercury and fewer toxins than bigger fish like salmon. Each batch is rigorously tested for purity and IFOS 5-Star Certified, a ranking system for premium quality fish oil.
This Omega 3 Wild Alaskan Fish Oil supplement is sourced from wild Alaskan pollock from the Bering Sea. It comprises 88% omega 3s per serving. The fish oil also provides essential fatty acids to help support and improve joint, skin, and cardiovascular health. This supplement also earned the top rating for oil freshness, with maximum total oxidation of five.
Furthermore, the omega3 concentrate in these supplements is the first to achieve certification as sustainable and traceable by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC). The supplement is encapsulated in pescatarian-friendly fish gelatin capsules.
Omega 3 Fish Oil from Wild Alaska Pollock (1250mg per Capsule) with Triglyceride EPA & DHA | Heart, Brain & Joint Support | IFOS 5 Star Certified, Non-GMO & Gluten Free (180 Softgels)
$45.49 in stock
- JUST 1 CAPSULE A DAY: They say one is the loneliest number. But when it comes to our omega 3 fish oil supplements, it's all you need for the day. Just one softgel has 1,040 milligrams of Omega-3 with 690 mg of EPA & 260 mg of DHA in the triglyceride molecular form. Sourced exclusively from wild Alaskan Pollock, our fish oil liquid has more essential fatty acids per capsule than Krill, Flaxseed or Algae Oils.
- HEAD, HEART & BEYOND: Nature has given us some amazing gifts. Like Omega-3 fatty acids. Found in fish oil, these nutrients (also known as EPA and DHA) may help support cardiovascular health, brain function and the immune system - and our triple strength Omega-3 Powerhouse supplements are packed with them.
- GOOD RIDDANCE, FISH BURPS: Our burpless fish oil, one-a-day Omega-3 fatty acid supplements go down without the aftertaste of some lower quality capsules due to our 10-step oil refinement process where oxygen is kept away throughout the entire process to ensure the utmost freshness and quality. Pescatarian friendly, non-GMO verified, hexane, soy and gluten free.
- MANUFACTURED IN THE USA: There are a lot of great things about products manufactured in the USA. For us, it's all about quality control. Fully traceable, from the sea to your body, we manufacture our Omega 3 fish oil supplements in a cGMP certified facility and 3rd party tested for heavy metals, mercury and PCB’s. The result: a safe, effective, superior product.
- ULTIMATE QUALITY: 1) 3rd Party Verified. 2) MSC Certified Sustainable & Traceable.3) Our 10-step refinement process. And 4) 100% sourced from natural Alaskan Pollock. That's our Omega 3 fish oil pills. Just ask the International Fish Oil Standards Council (IFOS), which rates our Omega 3 Fish Oil 5 stars. Quality anyone? Yes please.
Wiley’s Finest Wild Alaskan Fish Oil Peak Epa is the right supplement for you if you are a pescatarian – if you don’t eat meat, eat fish. This supplement comes in all-natural Tilipia soft gel gelatin caps. It also delivers four times the amount of omega 3s than other supplements.
Additionally, the supplement makers use a unique patented distillation process to keep the oil fresh. This process helps reduce fishy burps, lousy aftertaste, or fishy smells. All ingredients used are high-quality, non-GMO, free from gluten, grain, and dairy, with no artificial flavors or colors.
Furthermore, the supplement was tested by a third-party company. Testing revealed that it does not contain any heavy metals such as mercury, PCBs, lead, cadmium, and arsenic.
Wiley’s Finest omega3 supplements are made from sustainable, Alaskan wild-caught fish. Notably, these supplements are purified and packaged at a family-owned and operated facility in America. We cannot say the same thing about other fish oil supplements. Some, produced from anchovy oil caught in various countries, are encapsulated in the US.
Wiley's Finest Wild Alaskan Fish Oil - 3X Triple Strength Peak EPA™ DHA, 1000mg Omega-3s, NSF-Certified, 60 Softgels
$29.50 in stock
- HIGH CONCENTRATION, SINGLE SPECIES FISH OIL- Peak EPA contains 750mg EPA and 250mg DHA for a total of 1000mg of Wild-Caught Alaskan Pollock Omega-3s in just 1 softgel per day!A fish gelatin capsule makes this product suitable for pescatarians!
- CERTIFIED FOOD SAFE: The SQF Quality Shield, a recognized global seal, certifies that our manufacturing process meets SQF rigorous quality code standards. This product is safe from PCBs, heavy metals, and other environmental contaminants.
- FORMULATED FOR LESS FISHY BURPS - Our patented distillation process keeps oil fresh to reduce or eliminate fishy burps, unpleasant aftertaste, fishy odor or lingering fishiness.
- WILD CAUGHT, SUSTAINABLY SOURCED, AMERICAN MADE- Certified by the Marine Stewardship council to be sustainably and responsibly caught, every batch of our Omega-3s are made from Wild Alaskan Pollock, caught in U.S. waters, and put through careful purification and gentle concentration by American workers.
Is There An Ultimate Best Omega 3 Supplement?
Like many other health items, not all fish oil products are created equal. So, first, consider your reason for wanting to take an omega 3 supplement. Then consult your physician if you have any of the contraindications mentioned above.
After reviewing many omega3 supplements, I decided to share with you what I believe are the 5 best Omega 3 supplements today. Hopefully, you find this research helpful.
If you still debate which supplement to buy, I highly recommend the Nordic Naturals – Ultimate Omega. This brand offers the best overall value. It is also very beneficial for most people. I can honestly say it is an excellent supplement for anyone. Whether you are a beginner who has never taken an omega 3 supplement before or an avid supplements user, the Nordic Naturals – Ultimate Omega is the product for you.
Finally, we concluded that we rank the Nordic Naturals – Ultimate Omega the best Omega 3 supplement out of the 5 supplements reviewed here.